Friday, April 21, 2006

Sweet 16 and Spoiled Rotten

Time, April 24 2006 issue (pg 56)

It's disguting to see how mere 16 year olds can behave in such a manner. Of course it may be due to the fact that my upbringing contrasts greatly with that of a typical American teenager, but still there is no need for such lavish celebrations that are, in a way, a glorified children's birthday party where the presents and toys are exchanged for money. The age of 16 is meant to mark one's coming of age, i.e. maturity. There is no maturity at all in these excessive parties where they literally let themselves go wild and lose all sense and decorum.

For all their sophistication and advacements, the Americans have a terribly ugly side to their youth. This makes me appreciate the relatively strict and conservative environment I've grown up in here in Singapore. Just reading the article or watching "My Super Sweet 16" is enough to make me feel corrupted...

1 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger rendição said...

I agre with you on this point charmaine. I believe, however, that one must understand that the freedom and openness that we, as Asians may perceive to be rudeness and unrefined behavior, is an accepted social norm there.

Perhaps it is the way that we are brought up, to be conservative when it comes to spending. However, today as i consider both sides of the field, the grass still seems to be greener on my side of the fence...and I would not change that for anything!

Ryan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home